It’s quite rare for me to try and duplicate a beer. Since I started brewing, I’ve only done it once. Tomorrow, I’ll try and duplicate a beer we dubbed “God Beer” – Karmeliet Triple.
My recipe is as follows (for a 10.5 gallon batch)
23lbs 2 Row (Belgian) Pale
4lbs Wheat Malt
2lbs Oats, Flaked
2lbs Candi Sugar (clear)
Mash at 148 for 60 mins and batch sparge. Target OG of 1.075. Mash efficiency is expected at 70%.
The boil is targeted for 90 minutes with the following additions:
2.5oz Hallertauer (4.8%) @ 60 mins
.5oz Hallertauer (4.8%) @ 15 mins
3.0oz Orange peel @ 15 mins
1.0oz Anise @ 15 mins
.65 oz Coriander @ Flameout
I used White Labs WLP550 for the yeast this time.
Cut to 8 weeks later when I actually got around to finishing a post….
My efficiency was a little better than I expected and I actually beat my OG and reached 1.080 I didn’t prepare a starter and simply used the yeast in the vials and still reached a FG of 1.012 which means that the beer came out at 9.0% ABV. I didn’t do enough research on oranges and I bought what I could find (Navel) and I simply peeled off the whole rind and threw it into the boil. I should have extracted only the orange portion and left the pith behind. I’ve only tasted two of the bottles and it came out good but it’s missing some of the orange flavor. Next time I’ll search for some Seville oranges or if that fails I’ll augment with some grapefruit rind. I’ve read that kumquats are a decent substitute when used whole so I might go in that direction. I haven’t been able to find a source copy to do a side by side comparison (yet).
I split the batch into two carboys and there was a little difference in color but no changes in gravity or aroma. Half of of the beer was capped in 22oz bottles while the rest was corked. I had never tried it before but so far they all look like they are doing fine. I had to get the hang of it but I’ll definitely do it again in the future. I’ll save the corked bottles for at least six months before cracking into them.
I fermented the beer at room temperature in the room of requirement (the basement) so temps were… what they were. I think it was in the mid 60′s due to the air conditioning running and then I brought them upstairs for a few days prior to bottling to a room that was about 73 degrees. The flavors are fairly close and it has a nice smooth finish. I did have one bottle that tasted a little strong so I think I may have had an issue with fermentation temps. If I wasn’t lazy and had created a starter I may have avoided this. The beer was in the primary for 2 weeks and in the secondary for a month.
As I mentioned, due to my lack of research and planning I only used the oranges that were available. This had a negative impact on the quality of the finished beer. It’s not too far off from what I remember but it definitely didn’t quite hit the mark.
I’ll have another taste in a week or two (when I get home) and hopefully compare it to the source so that I can see where I can adjust the recipe. Jessica had a taste and approved so I’ll be using this as a starting point next time. It’s a strong beer so hopefully it will last a while.